Raku tiles

Today I tried a little bit of experimentation with making a tile. It's for a commission to do three raku tiles  with a beautiful dog on, whose name I can't reveal yet in case her owner reads it , it's a surprise . 

I decided to use a photograph, I ran it through an app to get a black-and-white image. I then painted the image on using the least bubbly white glaze I could find. I then finished it with emerald  glaze


 Unfortunately the front didn't go as black as I would've liked so I had to set fire to a big pile of newspaper and burn it for several minutes. That worked quite well. I'm pretty pleased with that and I definitely will use that technique again.